This three ingredient recipe for pigs in blankets couldn’t be easier. It is a completely fuss free dish, requires no prep and even more importantly is mess-free, which makes it perfect for children to get involved with. As well as only using three ingredients, it requires no equipment or utensils other than a knife.
Pigs in blankets US style
Unlike the traditional festive treat of sausages wrapped in bacon that we’re familiar with in the UK, these are a US version where hot dog-style sausages are wrapped in a puff pastry blanket – sort of a sausage roll. These ones also have a cheesy twist.
They make a perfect snack for all the family and also a great party food idea (see also our pizzette recipe).
Cheesy Pigs in blankets: ingredients
This recipe makes 18 little pigs in blankets.
- One sheet of puff pastry (approx 320g)
- Six hot dogs
- Six slices of cheese
We use Frankfurter sausages and Emmental cheese slices as they melt really nicely and are not overly cheesy or gooey. You could also use cheddar slices.
- Preheat oven to 220˚ C (200c for a fan) and cook your hotdogs as per packet instructions
- Get the puff pastry out of the fridge and to room temperature. Then slice into six even rectangle and place a slice of cheese on top of each leaving a margin of pastry
3. Place the cooked hot dogs on top of the cheese and roll it up
4. Slice each roll into three even piece and arrange all pieces on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and flaky
As a variation, you can use croissant dough instead of puff pastry, and as mentioned before you can use different styles of sliced cheese.
Thanks to Cath Kidston for the inspiration!